You might have heard the name Kodi, or seen it scattered around the internet and wondered what it was. This isn’t going to be a Kodi review as there is little alternative to it in the real world.
What we’ll show here is. What is Kodi and how do you set it up and use it. It has been around for a few years and a new Kodi build is never far away due to the number of developers working on it.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is free, open-source software designed with home entertainment as its primary function.
For fans of movies, sports and Kodi TV streaming, it is ideal and can cater for all of these. There is one slight downside, and this is nothing to do with Kodi itself.
Kodi add-ons get created which don’t have licenses for the content they allow you to view. The watching or downloading of this content is as legal as downloading torrents. There is a solution to this which will be explained later.
What Can You Watch On Kodi?
Rather than saying “what does Kodi do” It is easier to say, what can’t you watch or listen to using Kodi. It can stream, play music and access movies from your hard drive. With the use of the Kodi add-ons, it allows almost anything to be shown to viewers.
How to Set Up Kodi on a Computer
When setting up Kodi there isn’t that much to it, however, setting up add-ons is a significant part of Kodi, and it is a part of why users need a way of protecting their connections as most of this content isn’t legal.
How does Kodi work? Well, setup of Kodi is more straightforward on Windows than other operating systems, and here’s how you do it:
- Go to the Download page for Kodi and select the 32Bit Installer link.
- As it’s Windows, you’ll see the standard file options: Run or Save and Cancel.
- Select Save and download the application to your desired location.
- Double-click your downloaded Kodi installer to install the software.
- During the Installation process, you might be asked to follow some easy steps. Stick with the default settings for now.
For installing that’s all there is to it, and you might notice it doesn’t do much. If you find yourself wondering that, you need the following of how to watch movies on Kodi.
Kodi can be installed on many devices, this ranges from Mac, iOS, Android, Android TV, Consoles and many others including the Amazon Fire TV stick which is now one of the best streaming devices available.
This is the point where many users become baffled. To stream any content, you need an add-on. At present, all Kodi can do is view media from your computer.
This is pretty simple and is much like any other media player. You find the source and open the file. From movies to music are simple additions, but with Kodi, you can do so much more.
Now things can get a little more exciting, how do we install an add-on?
Installing Third-Party Add-ons
These add-ons are made you think, is Kodi legal? Although it can’t be condoned, we still need to show you how to install an add-on so you can get further benefit from Kodi.
Here we will install Exodus which is an add-on allowing you to watch varying types of media. As a note:
The team behind the exodus-add-on say they host content, they only provide links. Up till now, everything is still legal. Is Kodi safe to use, it sounds as if it isn’t? It is, although you never know what third-party developers slip into their add-ons.
Configure Your Settings
A few add-ons come from unknown developers, and even though Kodi can let any content play, it blocks add-ons from anonymous sources.
- Open Kodi and click Settings and then System settings.
- Select Add-ons, and click the button next to Unknown sources, then Yes to confirm.
- Add-ons can now be installed to improve your experience.
Protecting Your Connection
As was mentioned that much of the content was slightly illegal. It is advised to make full use of a VPN service to make sure you are safe from any prying eyes.
Copyright infringement, as well as geo-locked content, will all be allowed by using a VPN service for protection.
There are many VPNs available, and many of the top ones can be used. This being said, to get the best use the best VPN for Kodi is one which offers the highest security, is based outside of any 5-eyes jurisdiction.
The most significant deal breaker is a VPN provider which offers the fastest speeds for Kodi streaming in Australia.
Bundle all these requirements together, and there are only a few VPNs you can choose from.
Install Exodus on Kodi via the Kodil repository
The Kodil repository is a pretty good repository which has various add-on resources. You can easily install the add-on from the Kodil repository even if it appears to have a lot of steps.
- Open Kodi and click Settings (gear icon).
- Click on the File manager.
- Double click the Add Source option and then click on None.
- Type in the following URL, (http://kdil.co/repo/) or copy and paste the URL in your Kodi, and then click OK.
- Type in and enter a name to save the source. A good example being, you can type Kodil, and then click OK twice to save your source.
- *Kindly note that you’ll need to enter a name that contains a part of the URL path*
- Return to the Main menu, and then click Add-ons. Now click the Package icon on the upper left (open box).
- Select Install from zip file option.
- Select the name you saved. In this case kodil.
- Click to select kodil.zip.
- Wait for a couple of seconds until the notification shows you the repository to install. On the same screen, click Install from the repository. On the right-hand side.
- Select Kodil Repository (Left-hand side)
- Click Video add-ons once the list has popped up.
- Select Exodus-link.
- Select and Click Install at the bottom left.
- Wait until the notification to show the Add-on has been installed.
- Now you can go to the Kodi homepage > Add-ons > Video add-ons > Exodus. Now you have access to plenty of rich content.
Setting Up Kodi Channels
As most of what Kodi offers is streamed content, it doesn’t do much without add-ons or having channels set up so you might ask what to do with Kodi? These channels are quite straightforward as you can see from the list of directions below:
To setup Kodi channels to enjoy a better streaming experience, subscribers have to install add-ons on Kodi manually. The process is simple, and we have a step by step procedure so that you can add channels on your Kodi device.
Step 1. Launch your Kodi app.
Step 2. Scroll to the videos section on the main menu. Once you are there, you’ll notice File, Playlists, and Video Add-ons.
Click on the Videos add-ons button.
Step 3. When you have selected this, you’ll be presented with numerous add-ons.
Step 4. Position your cursor to the lower-left corner on your screen and select the Options icon.
Step 5. Once in the options panel, click on Get More. Once this has loaded, you will be presented with numerous broadcasting channels which allows you to stream content online. Select any channel you wish to add this to your Kodi library.
Step 6. Once you’ve chosen your channel, you will be given an install dialogue. Click on Install.
Step 7. The channel add-on will automatically download itself, and you finally see a tick mark against the channel’s name.
Step 8. Once it’s been installed, click on Open.
Step 9. All the channel’s content is ready for streaming. Now all you need to do is Select one of the Kodi TV shows and enjoy!
What does Kodi app do? It revolutionises home entertainment for a vast number of people. A lot of the content which is made available is either geographically-locked, or it infringes on copyright. Although this is the case, there is no reason not to install Kodi and make full use of its capabilities.
As mentioned earlier, what is available on Kodi is streamed, it won’t take long before ISP’s begin clamping down on its use.
With Australian retention laws of data, you can amass quite a significant amount of streamed content in the two years they are legally bound to hold your data.
Use Kodi by all means and enjoy whatever content your heart desires, however, to protect yourself for the time being you are well advised to seek out a VPN service provider.
Choose a VPN who caters well for Australia and can make your experience all the more enjoyable and somewhat guilt free.